8.21.2008

Symptoms of Celiac Disease

I’ve had three different people come to me this week saying that their doctors think that they might have celiacs. They all asked me about common symptoms, so I decided to compile a list of the most common ones that I know of (based on organizations that I trust). Hope this helps. Feel free to list more if you know of any common ones that I missed. Also, feel free to list your own symptoms or ask questions about your symptoms and I will try to help you the best I know how.

**Remember, you don’t have to have any symptoms to have the disease**


Common Symptoms of Celiac Disease

Gastro Symptoms
Abdominal cramps, gas and bloating
Appetite (Increased to the point of craving)
Constipation
Diarrhea
Recurring bloating, gas, or abdominal pain
Stools (Any of: Loose, Hard, Small, Large, Foul smelling, Floating, Discolored, Frothy)
Weight loss / weight gain

Other Physical Symptoms
Back pain
Bone or joint pain
Decreased ability to clot blood
Dehydration
Delayed growth or onset of puberty
Edema
Electrolyte depletion
Energy loss
Failure to thrive (in infants)
Fatigue
Infertility male & female, recurrent miscarriage
Missed menstrual periods (often because of excessive weight loss)
Mouth sores or cracks in the corners
Muscle cramping (Especially in the hands and legs)
Night blindness
Osteoporosis
Skin (Very dry, Dermatitis herpetiformis)
Tingling numbness in the legs
Tongue (Smooth or geographic - looks like different continents)
Tooth discoloration or loss of enamel
Unexplained anemia (a low count of red blood cells causing fatigue)
Vitamin K Deficiency
Weakness

Mental Symptoms
Depression
Disinterested in normal activities
Irritable
Mood changes
Unable to concentrate


For more information, please visit the following websites:

Celiac Disease Foundation

National Foundation for Celiac Awareness

Celiac Sprue Foundation

1 comment:

Future RN said...

I stumbled across this website in searching for some information on products and I just wanted to say, thank you. This is a great source. My 3 year old son has Celiac's disease. We've only been been gluten free since this past August.

In children it is hard to tell their symptoms. My son suffered from severe constipation. He was on Miralax for over a year before we changed his diet. He also has suffered from acid reflux since birth. I'm happy to say that he no longer needs medicine for his reflux. It's like it is gone. Acid reflux (GERD) can also be common in people with undiagnosed celiac's disease.
Eczema can also point to an underlying issue in children. My son has not suffered from diaper rashes or other types of infections in his diaper area since the change. His eczema also improved for a few months but has returned because of the dry air from winter.

Thanks again!